Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Who has to wear a seat belt in a vehicle & what are the requirements for child restraints in a vehicle?

Seat belt use is required by the driver and those passengers occupying the front seat of any motor vehicle that was/is equipped with passenger restraints. Passengers in the rear seat, between 4 years of age and less than 16 years of age must also be secured by a seatbelt. Children under four, no matter where they are seated, must be restrained in a specially designed seat which meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

When I call the police department, why am I asked so many questions?

Dispatchers are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. In most instances, the police car may already be responding to your call while the dispatcher is asking additional questions.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

Yes. The police department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. What may only be questionable to you is often very important to the police. If something occurred during the night, and it is discovered in the morning, it is still wise to contact the police. Information you provide may help officers investigating not only your call but also other calls of a similar nature.

I have an auto dialing alarm, should I program it to call the 9-1-1 emergency line?

9-1-1 would not be the proper number. 648-5111, which is also an emergency number to the Town of Hamburg Police Dispatch Center, is better suited to accept auto-dialed calls. Many auto-dialers continue to call until the alarm is reset, if an alarm is malfunctioning and the owner can’t be contacted, this could tie up a strictly emergency number. Tying up the 9-1-1 system with an auto-dialer would violate a county law.

Can the police do anything about a neighbor who makes excessive noise?

The Village of Hamburg has an ordinance that the police use to control excessive noise, be it from a motor-vehicle engine, a motorcycle or dirt bike or from a radio, television, or any music amplifiers. That law was written, as many other ordinances, to protect the quality of life for residents and their guests. Arrests are not usually needed to correct the problem since the police quickly respond and notify the violator of the law, and clears up the problem.

How do I get an "Order Of Protection"?

Orders of Protection and Temporary Orders of Protection may be issued by a Local Criminal Court, Supreme Court, or Family Court. An officer can advise you which forum would be of assistance by using the following guidelines.

The Local Criminal Court requires the commencement of a criminal action, a charge which must be placed, before the court will issue a Temporary Order to a victim. Upon conviction, the court may extend the order and establish the length of time during which the order will be effective.

The Supreme Court may issue an Order of Protection upon commencement of an action for divorce, separation or annulment.

The Family Court may issue a protective order upon application of either party without any requirement that a charge has been previously commenced. The parties must be subject to the jurisdiction of the Family Court. (That is, be legally married to one another, formerly married, be related by blood or marriage (in-laws), or have a child in common)

Can I be issued a ticket for passing a school bus in a parking lot?

In the interest of student safety, police have been asked to enforce the law against the passing of a stopped school bus. The law forbids motorists to pass a stopped bus which is loading or unloading students. This includes not only the highways but the parking lots.

Official Website of the Village of Hamburg, New York. Copyright © 2014
Village of Hamburg | 100 Main Street | Hamburg, New York 14075 | 716-649-0200 | FAX 716-646-6558